Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You Can't Go Home Again

Last summer my wife and I took a trip to Portsmouth, New Hampshire where I had lived from ages 10 to 14.  We arrived in the rain and, unfortunately, it didn't stop until the day we left.

Our first stop was to see the house I had lived in at 3 Pinecrest Terrace.  Here I am standing the the driveway.  The house was torn down a couple of years ago.  Was it Thomas Wolfe who said "You can't go home again"? It was our second home in Portsmouth.  The first home is shown below.

This was our first home in Portsmouth.  It was fifty years old at the time we lived here and is now over one hundred years old.  The current owners were kind enough to take us through the house.  My bedroom certainly looked much smaller than I remember it.  That seemed to be the motto of this trip -- "I don't remember this being so small."
 

No comments: